Monday, April 11, 2011

Beyond--Method #8 Capture your computer screen

This section has been frustrating for me, which is ironic because this is something that I could use right now to create login instructions to leave for substitutes who come into the library. I don't know if the problem is with the sites themselves or (more likely) with my network, but several of the sites have caused Internet Explorer to close everytime I try to use them. With some of the others, I get a message that IE cannot open the page.
I will try them again later on a different computer, but the problem is that the information I would like to record is only available on the intranet at my school. Ah me, the joys of technology.

Having said that, I will also say that I can see many potential uses for these screencasts. I like the suggestion of creating individual ones to help patrons remember all the steps in answering a reference question. Screencasts could help students and staff remember how to access library resources, how to search the library catalog, or just about any other process that involves using a computer.

OK, I tried this again at home with a little more success, so it must have been a network problem at school. I used ScreenJelly, which was very easy to do. I made a short video aboout one of the databases that we use at school. I would love to figure out a way to use ScreenJelly at school. Maybe my technologist can help me.

Here's my little effort.



Time spent on Method #8--approximately 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment