Friday, April 8, 2011

Beyond--Method #4 Employment 2.0

This section was interesting to me because recently my daughter has been using online resources to look for a new job. I had heard her talk about some of these sites, but had not really looked closely at them myself.

The WebJunction video was good, but it seemed to apply more to public libraries than to a school library. I think that a few of the ideas could be adapted for school use. I can see teaching 21st century skills like LinkedIn as part of a library skills lesson, and possibly posting a resume workshop on the library website.

I had not seen the VisualCV site before. It was visually appealing and seems like a good way to distribute information. The only problem that I had with it is that the link to sign in or to create a resume was broken--or at least did not work on my computer.

The LinkedIn tutorial was informative. I had actually already signed up, but didn't really understand its purposes or uses. I liked the statement that "the power of networking is in the 2nd degree." I think that's almost always true. It reminds me of the old saying, "It's not what you know, it's who you know." I also liked the suggestion to ask for advice and not directly for a job. Good idea.

The FindingJobs page seems fairly straightforward to me. I don't think that it would take very long to develop enough computer skills to be able to navigate the site. The Computer Basics page would probably be very helpful in that regard.

Time spent on Method #4--approximately 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment