Friday, April 8, 2011

Beyond--Method #6 eBooks and eReaders and libraries, oh my!

This is an interesting section for several reasons. First, there have been some recent discussions about ebooks and ereaders on the TLC library listserv. Also, the librarians in my district spent some time at a recent meeting discussing the benefits and drawbacks of using ereaders in the library. And third, after resisting for a long time, I got a dedicated ereader (ColorNook) for Christmas. Wasn't sure I would like it, and now I can hardly bear to be without it. Now I think everybody should have one!

Project Gutenberg is another one of those services that I knew about, but had never spent a lot of time on. It is truly amazing how much material is available. I located an old favorite, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19337 I opened the HTML version and found it very easy to read. It even had beautiful illustrations.

I have not tried to download any titles yet, but this page of instructions http://goodereader.com/forum/showthread.php/4689-How-to-Transfer-EPUB-Files-to-your-Nook should be very useful. Imagine having access of tens of thousands of free books! Could life get any better? In this time of serious budget constraints, I think that librarians and library patrons will find Project Gutenberg very rewarding.

As I said earlier, I have become very attached to my Nook. Several friends have given me "real" books to read, but I have a hard time putting down my Nook. Once when I was reading a print book, I kept tapping the right side of the book trying to get the page to turn. On the other hand,when I was reading my Nook one day my husband asked me what I was reading and I started to hold it up to show him the cover.

I think that ebooks and ereaders will become increasingly common in libraries. For better or worse, librarians will have to adjust and adapt to yet another new technological advance.

Re: 5 Ways that eBooks are better than paper books: Another advantage is being able to read without turning on a lamp or overhead light. On the other hand, one can read a paper book even when there is no access to electricity (like I did yesterday when the power was out for an hour or so.)


Time spent on Method #6--approximately 1.5 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment