Friday, September 18, 2009

A Random Thought


For some reason--and who knows where that thought came from--reading in Method 3 about all the tools and gadgets available in the cloud made me think about the fact that shoe stores in the 1930s through the 1950s would use a type of X-ray machine in the store to check the fit of shoes. The customer would step on a machine that was basically an unshielded X-ray and be able to see how their feet fit into the shoes. (See information at http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/shoefittingfluor/shoe.htm).
Of course it was later discovered that the radiation was causing serious health problems and the practice was discontinued.

I guess the connection between the X-ray machine and the tools mentioned in Method 3 is that, when we are using a new technology, we should be careful to use it appropriately and be aware of the potential downside.

As I said, just a random thought.

Image Source: www.orau.org/.../shoefittingfluor/shoe.htm

One type of shoe-fitting fluoroscope.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that an amazing story? I used to volunteer with some WWII brides, and they loved to go to the shoe store to see their foot bones. It may seem like an odd comparison to some, but many people are concerned about the privacy and tracking issues that have arisen/could arise from the Web. Not to mention ownership, etc. Some days I wonder if I haven't thrown all caution to the wind lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment--nice to know someone is reading my blog. I agree about the privacy issues. I'm sure I would be horrified to know how much of my personal information is already available to anyone with a few basic computer skills.

    ReplyDelete