Saturday, September 26, 2009

Method 6--YouTube


I chose this video because I have just taught search strategies to several classes at my school. This would have been a helpful video to show them. At least I'll have it for next time.

I have used and enjoyed YouTube for a long time, so I know that there are lots of useful and/or entertaining videos available. Last summer I found lots of fun Shel Silverstein clips--even one of him singing with Johnny Cash! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npVZEOzotCE) Many of the videos would be good tools to use in a school setting. The problem I have is that, like some of the other tools in this course, YouTube is blocked at my school. I could embed a video in my school website that would be accessible to students working from home. Maybe this one that I've embedded here would be a good one. It would give students a quick refresher on how to search the databases while they were doing homework.

We do have access to a site called TeacherTube that has educator-approved videos, and some of them are very good as well. I have not searched for any on databases, but maybe I should.

One new thing that I learned in this unit is how to actually embed a YouTube video in my blog instead of just copying and pasting a link--and how to skin it. That's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment