Saturday, September 26, 2009

Extra Credit--Flickr vs. Picasa






I spent some time exploring Flickr and Picasa. They have similar features and uses. I like being able to tag pictures and then search by tags. It seems like Flickr is better-known, so it would probably have more images, but I didn't count them. I did notice that thousands of images are uploaded every minute.


There are some things that I like about Picasa--it has a fun game where the viewer looks at a picture and tries to guess where in the world the picture was taken. The program tells you how many thousands of miles off you are. I was really bad at it, but it was fun anyway. I like the collaborative albums, where more than one person can contribute photos. I like the layout of the Picasa pages. It seems like they are easier on the eye.


One thing that surprised me was that when I was logged into my Google account, Picasa pulled up all the pictures that I have ever uploaded to a blog. I had no idea.


I think that if a library wanted to use a photo-sharing program, either Flickr or Picasa would work equally well. It's just a matter of personal preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment