Saturday, September 26, 2009

Method 5, part 2--Online Photo Sharing

Online photo sharing is a tool that I have mixed feelings about. On one hand, it is an easy, convenient, inexpensive way to share photos with family and friends. On the other hand, there is at least the possibility of an issue with privacy and possibly even safety, if the user is not careful about what photos are shared and what information is posted. There is also the possibility that young children will be exposed to inappropriate materials. These are basically the same concerns that are caused by almost any use of Internet tools and programs.

At this time, I do not really see a use for Flickr in my school library. There are several reasons for this:

*Flickr and similar sites are blocked in my district
*There is a chance that students would access inappropriate material
*Legal concerns would prevent posting photos of students
*There is not time in the school day when students could use the site.

When I bought my digital camera, it included EasyShare™ software that allows me to download and edit photos, and then share them with friends and family. I (at least feel like I) have more control over who can see them since I have to send an invitation for anyone to view my albums. I will probably just continue to use that rather than one of the sites we read about here. Flickr and other photo-sharing sites could be useful for finding images, even if I am not uploading any images myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment